Testicular cancer is one of the most common cancers in young men in the age group of 15 to 35 years of age. The incidence (occurrence of new cases of a disease in a population) of testicular cancers is around 3 per 100,000 men. The majority (60%) are non-seminomas and the remaining 40% are seminomas (so named because they originate in germ cells). In older men, the most common testicular cancers are lymphomas and, less frequently, genital cord cancers.
It is estimated that testicular cancer accounts for approximately 1% of all malignancies (cancers) occurring in men.
The causes of testicular cancer are not fully understood, but certain risk factors exist:
The first sign of testicular cancer is usually a hard, non-painful, palpable lump in the testicle. There may also be swelling and fluid in the scrotum, with a feeling of heaviness in the scrotal area.
If the testicular lump goes unnoticed, the first symptoms can be caused by metastases (the spread of cancer cells from the place where they first formed to another part of the body) such as:
As testicular cancer progresses, it can cause considerable enlargement of the lymph nodes in the retroperitoneal space (in the abdomen) which may be visible on ultrasound.
Testicular cancer is one of the most common cancers for which a second opinion is sought. The medical professionals, oncologists, radiation oncologists and urologists who evaluate your case and provide the second opinion are recognized Harvard specialists in the diagnosis and treatment of this type of cancer.
By choosing Global Second Opinion, you can be assured that the second opinion issued by our specialists will be as accurate as possible, tailored to your case and the histological, genetic and radiological characteristics of the testicular tumor.
The second opinion can also be a valuable aid in planning the most appropriate treatment method. Use Global Second Opinion to confirm the correct diagnosis of your condition and understand different treatment approaches.